- This event has passed.
Teaching & Tech Workshop – Leveraging Classroom Spaces for Active, Collaborative Learning
March 22, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm
Leveraging Classroom Spaces for Active, Collaborative Learning (DigPed 003)
with Catherine Turner
Senior Associate Director, Center for Teaching and Learning
The final workshop in a three-part series on Blended Learning. In this hands-on session, participants will discover how to leverage the basic elements of any classroom (walls, boards, desks, tables, projectors, etc.) to create an active, collaborative learning experience for students. After building a foundation of learning spaces and in-class student collaboration techniques, participants will brainstorm, design and teach classroom an activity in the VanPelt-Dietrich Library’s Collaborative Classroom. Through discussion and reflection, participants will offer and receive feedback to help them integrate technology and physical teaching spaces purposefully to best meet their lesson goal(s).
Workshop Learning Objectives:
Upon completing this workshop, you should be able to
- Use tips on learning space design to quickly and easily adapt any space for collaborative learning
- Design collaborative in-class activities suitable for their own lesson goal(s)
- Integrate collaborative in-class activities with technology
Skills, concepts, or competencies this workshop delivers:
- Application and evaluation of technologies used for instruction
- Techniques to leverage physical spaces for active learning
- Continued professional development through online networks
Recommended prerequisite: DigPed 001 & DigPed 002 online components
This workshop is intended for:
- Staff who provide pedagogical and/or technological support for instructors or TAs
- Participants will be asked to complete a brief exercise on a technological tool of their choice in Canvas before attending the workshop.
- Within 24 hours of registration, participants who have not completed the second workshop in this series (“Mixing It Up with Tech: Turning a Course Activity into a Blended Learning Experience”) will be enrolled in the “Blended Learning” Canvas site and will be emailed instructions on how to complete the tech-tool exercise.
- Participants who have not completed the first workshop in this series (“Blended Learning: Teaching with Technology More Purposefully”) will also be asked to complete the lesson-goals exercise in Canvas before attending the workshop.
- Participants who have completed the second workshop will be emailed a reminder to complete the tech-tools exercise before attending this workshop.